9 indecently expensive minerals
1. Rhodium - a noble and very rare metal of silver-white color. It is used in jewelry, in nuclear reactors and as a catalyst in chemical reactions. The price of such a metal is about $ 30 per gram.
2. Payne . This crystal is listed in the Guinness Book of Records as the rarest mineral in the world. Until 2005, less than 25 crystals of painite were found. It's hard to talk about the price of this mineral. It’s easier to say that it is priceless.
3. Diamond is a mineral that is widely used in microelectronics, the nuclear and watch industry, in jewelry and other industries. A cut diamond (brilliant) can reach prices up to $ 300, 000 per 1 carat.
4. Black opal is another rare stone of amazing beauty. He became the national stone of Australia, which collected more than 95% of the total world volume. The average cost is $ 2, 350 for 1 carat.
5. Platinum is a noble metal that is widely used in medicine, jewelry and in a wide variety of technical industries. The main deposits of platinum are in Russia and South Africa. The price of platinum today is $ 32 per gram.
6. Gold . It was gold that became the most popular metal in jewelry. Perhaps the secret is that the characteristic color of the metal is easy to declare some luxury. But, let’s say, far from all can distinguish platinum from inexpensive silver. For 1 gram of gold you have to pay $ 43.
7. Rubies . Man has been mining these minerals for over 2, 000 years. Rubies are considered a luxury item and are quite rare even in jewelry stores. High quality crystals can cost up to $ 13, 000 per carat.
8. Jadeite is a rare green mineral. It is curious that the imperial variety is used in jewelry, but low-quality block jadeite is used in saunas and bathhouses. Expensive copies may cost $ 20, 000 per carat.
9. Pomegranate - a group of minerals having different shades and colors. This is where the price comes from: blue garnet is found in single copies, and it is considered the most expensive. In 2006, blue garnet weighing 4.2 carats was sold for $ 6.8 million.
The most interesting news from the world of science: fresh discoveries, photos and incredible facts in your mail. OK I agree to the rules of the site Thank you. We have sent a confirmation email to your email.